September 23, 2013, HIPAA Compliance Deadline
This section provides information and resources related to the Final Omnibus Rule (or Final Rule) of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) released in January 2013. These resources help psychologists know the steps they need to take to comply with the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules.
- HIPAA Privacy Rule: Proposed changes could impact practitioners
- New federal rule affects psychologists with electronic health records
- Detailed FAQs about the information blocking rule
- The HIPAA Final Rule: What you need to do now (PDF, 550KB)
- Changes to HIPAA breach notification standards
- September 23, 2013 HIPAA compliance deadline
Watch a brief introductory video from Alan Nessman, JD, senior special counsel for the APA Practice Organization, for more information about the new HIPAA Final Rule resource.
- FAQs on HIPAA Final Rule resources
Privacy Rule resources
- Privacy Rule Primer (PDF, 1.5MB)
Security Rule resources
- Legal Corner: Protect your practice from scams targeting psychologists
Telephone cons threatens psychologists with fines and arrest. Here’s what you need to know.
- Legal Corner: Using unsecure email
The risks associated with using unencrypted emails to communicate with your patients.
- Topical edition of “Good Practice Magazine” on HIPAA (PDF, 1.31MB)