Psychological and Neuropsychological Testing Codes for Psychologists
Psychological and neuropsychological testing services utilize diagnostic tests when mental illness or brain dysfunction is suspected, and clarification is essential for the diagnosis and treatment. This family of codes was recently revised and extensive changes went into effect on Jan. 1, 2019.
2019 changes to psychological and neuropsychological testing codes
As of Jan. 1, 2019, practitioners will need to use the new billing codes for Medicare and all insurance carriers. The list is intended to familiarize you with specific testing coding changes and will be helpful for updating your billing and claims processing systems.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have released the final rule on the 2019 Medicare fee schedule. Below you will find a descriptors list, similar to the above document, that contains the 2019 Total Non-Facility RVU values and the 2019 Conversion Factor.
Given the new modernized coding structure that more accurately describes the work required when multiple hours of technical and professional services are performed, APA has developed three separate crosswalks between the current (2018) testing codes and the corresponding new codes to be used in 2019. These PDFs are intended to assist psychologists as they make the transition.
- Crosswalk for 2019 Psychological Testing and Evaluation CPT Codes (PDF, 50KB).
- Crosswalk for 2019 Neuropsychological Testing and Evaluation CPT Codes (PDF, 69KB).
- Crosswalk for 2019 Computerized Test CPT Codes (PDF, 35KB).
- Slides (PDF, 494KB) and webinar for the Dec. 21 webinar, Getting Reimbursed: Ask the testing code experts.
- Slides (PDF, 645KB) and webinar for the Dec. 5 webinar, Getting Reimbursed: Continued preparation for January’s testing code changes.
- An updated list of the most frequently asked questions regarding the 2019 Testing Codes (PDF, 419KB).
- Understanding Medicare’s Facility Fee Reduction (PDF, 495KB).
- The November webinar was specially aimed at insurers to help them understand the code changes.
- Up To Code: An article providing guidance on how to use the new codes.
- The recording from our October webinar — Getting Reimbursed: Testing code changes are here on the specific codes, descriptions and practical examples.
- Slides from the Oct. 24, 2018, webinar on testing code changes (PDF, 635KB).
- Up to code: Examining the new testing codes: Get answers to your questions about the new CPT ® codes for psychological and neuropsychological testing services.
News on the 2019 Testing Codes
- Reminder: New psychological and neuropsychological codes in effect
Use the new billing codes to get reimbursed for testing services.
- A letter from the APA Practice Organization sent Sept. 10, 2018, (PDF, 60KB), to Seema Verma, Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, commented on the proposed rule on the 2019 Medicare physician fee schedule released on July 12, 2018.
- APA wins increased reimbursement rates for psychological testing.
For help with questions about or billing problems related to the revised testing codes, contact the APA Practice Directorate's Government Relations Department at (202) 336-5889
CPT Copyright 2017 American Medical Association. All rights reserved.
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
Practitioner Helpline: (800) 374-2723