Teleneuropsychology: New resources for your practice
Guidance on CPT codes, technical requirements and more for successfully providing neuropsychology services via telehealth.
Delivering neuropsychological assessment via telehealth presents unique technical, reimbursement and risk-management challenges. While telepsychology guidelines, platforms and billing guidance had been established prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, this is not the case for teleneuropsychology (TeleNP). There are no practice guidelines, no specific risk management guidance, no nascent research and barriers to reimbursement.
In response to this access to care issue, APA has collaborated with the Inter Organizational Practice Committee — a coalition of neuropsychology representatives — to give practitioners a repository of high-quality guidance and resources on practicing teleneuropsychology. The resources available on the Inter Organizational Practice Committee website include:
- Telehealth and Tele-NP CPT coding guidance.
- Continuously updated state-by-state private insurance coverage for Tele-NP.
- Best practice guidance for Tele-NP.
- Tele-NP research.
- AACN/NAN computer testing guidelines.
- Lists of currently accessible telepsychology and Tele-NP ethics and practice webinars.
- Models of Tele-NP practice.
- Technical guides to setting up Tele-NP practice.
- Seminars specific to Tele-NP Risk Management are currently being developed in collaboration with the IOPC and outside partners and will be available soon.
In addition to creating these resources, an IOPC COVID-Teleneuropsychology advocacy team is pushing for inclusion of neuropsychology services under emergency telehealth coverage by private and public insurers. The COVID-19 TeleNP advocacy team includes the practice chairs of each national neuropsychology organization, as well as national experts in CPT coding and reimbursement, technology, research, access for multilingual/multicultural populations, large group practices, regional private insurance/ Medicare, primary care neuropsychology, staff from the APA Office of Health Care Financing and APA Office of Legal and Regulatory Affairs.